Posted on | October 23, 2012
I am so excited because my today’s cupcakes artist is Heidi from Bits of Sunshine! I simply adore her blog! If you haven’t visited this sweet treats place I can tell you only – just perfect! First, I adore the way how the site is decorated, and then every recipes on this blog is real sweet masterpiece! If you don’t believe me just check this cupcakes that Heidi made for us!
Hi! I am Heidi from Bits of Sunshine, where I share tons of yummy and easy treats! I have a thing for cupcakes. They can be turned into anything your heart desires! For example, you feel like a lemon meringue cupcake – yup, you can do that, you want a mini cheese cake – yup! Um, you want bannoffie pie-ish cupcakes – yup! Cheryl from Tidy Mom has even made ice cream cupcakes (yes they are on my list of things to make)! This is the reason I make cupcakes so often. They are like little blank canvases on which you can paint flavors to your hearts content! These Rolo ones are no different. They are decadent. I am not sure how else to describe them! They are moist, chocolaty, dense and divine! I made them from usual chocolate cupcake recipe and added 2 SLABS of Rolo chocolate…
And these, of course, wouldn’t be authentic Rolo cupcakes without a caramel centre!
Are you getting why I called them decadent now! Yup! They are filled, filled, filled with chunks of yumminess!
Once baked and cooled I used some chocolate fudge frosting and piped mounds of frosting on them and finished it off with swirls of left of caramel from the filling. Just for effect I popped a whole on the top, not that they needed anymore chocolate to be added to them, they were so loaded with chocolate they didn’t need any more, but it just looked so awesome!
If you would like to try these fro yourself, here is the recipe:
Makes about 24 cupcakes
2 cups flour
¾ cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup full fat mayonnaise
2 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/3 cups freshly brewed coffee
2 slabs Rolo chocolate (about 100g) – chopped
2 tins caramel treat / Dulce de leche
Rolos for decorating
- Preheat oven to 180′ C / 350′ F .
- Add all the ingredients in a mixing bowl except for the freshly brewed coffee and mix on high speed until combined
- Add the coffee bit by bit until it is all mixed in
- Add the chopped up rolo chunks and mix
- Fill some prepared cupcakes liners so the bottom is covered
- Spoon a teaspoon of caramel into the cupcake liner so it sits on top of the cake mixture
- Cover the caramel with the remaining cake mixture but be careful not to over-fill (¾ way is perfect!)
- Bake for about 20min. (I usually check after 15 min and take them out at about 18min)
- Let them cool completely before frosting them
Chocolate Fudge Icing
(depending on how you choose to ice these (the method I used took a lot of icing!) you may need to make a double batch)
250g softened butter
560g icing sugar
dash of vanilla essence
dash of cream
2 tablespoon cocoa powder
100g melted dark chocolate – cooled but still runny
- In an electric mixture, mix butter and icing sugar until smooth and fluffy, adding the cream bit by bit until a nice smooth piping consistency is reached.
- Add the vanilla essence and mix a bit more
- While the mixer is running, slowly add the chocolate and beat.
- Ice your cooled cupcakes as you wish!